Andi Gutmans wrote:
+1 and I think it's a good way for someone to get into the role.

I do not see why we need this delayed hand over. RMs managed to take over during the process in the past and today we even have a check list for this purpose. The main challenge is managing the politics on this list and we all know how this works. Of course there are also technical issues to take care of (like monitoring the commits so that nothing ends up in the release that was not intended).

If the process itself needs further clarification we should improve the documentation. Of course previous RMs are also around for a new RM to answer questions. But I think its a good tradition to switch RMs to ensure that the experienced remains shared and that we do not end up with a lot of single person specific implicit processes.

Anyways, I am here to help any RM that is put into the position (I lack the technical expertise to handle this stuff, so I should better stick with the secretary job) and I am sure Ilia will continue to do a good job. I also believe that Johannes will do a good job (of course he will need the support of previous RMs) if he takes the job.

regards,
Lukas