On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Alexey Zakhlestin wrote:
> On 10/1/07, Martin Alterisio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Sorry to bother, I have a few questions on this matter.
> > How will this impact on the SPL ArrayAccess and related interfaces and
> > objects?
> > Will there be an interface to this functionality?
> > If so, how will ranges be passed through to this interface?
> > Will this be consistent with substr() and array_slice() if used with an
> > ArrayAccess implementation?
>
> I guess it can be made to work with current ArrayAccess, but result
> will be quite slow. (it will need to query requested elements
> one-by-one and recombine those in array)
>
> But adding another interface can solve the problem. Ranges can be
> passed exactly the way they are passed to [] operator
>
> public function rangeGet($start, $length);
> public function rangeSet($start, $length, array $data);

Here's the question I see.  Right now, does an ArrayAccess object work with
array_slice()?  If so, then [2, 5] syntax would be just some nice syntactic
sugar.  If not, then it becomes a powerful new feature, and implementing it
on normal arrays and strings becomes just a matter of consistent syntax.

Personaly I kinda like it, but I know I'm not the one coding it. :-)

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson