I will use an example:

$foo = substr($bar, 0, 5) . "-" . substr($bar, 5);

or

$foo = $bar[:5] . "-" . $bar[5:];

I would argue that the second line is hardly more cryptic than the first one. And if we were concerned that concerned about duplicate functionality, we probably wouldn't have SimpleXML and similar things.

-Andrei
http://10fathoms.org/vu - daily photoblog