Afternoon,
and don't shoot me,

I'd like to bring up the topic of providing builds created with Visual Studio 2005 again. I know that until Apache and other Open Source software makes the move as well, we can't provide ONLY 2005 builds because they just won't work properly, the runtimes will crash and things will blow up.

But what is the thought of providing additional builds? I'm thinking specifically of Windows users running FastCGI probably on IIS with a non-threadsafe build (implying that they're not point and click installer happy already, and therefore a step above the general population), who would get the most performance increases out of the switch to the new compiler. So basically a special non thread safe and 2005 compile for additional download. I'm well aware that the process of doing this needs to be well thought out and planned, but PHP users are notorious for not testing things that aren't available right on the downloads page, and people at Microsoft have made the request that binaries be made available on the php.net site.

I'd be willing to help create builds of common open source libraries that PHP links against, such as libiconv and libxml2, with the newer compiler so there are no runtime issues originating from that angle. But until people start using it, we can't really see where issues are going to appear. And I know it will be a big job to get all the open source libraries php extensions link against migrated to the new compiler (and impossible for the closed source ones) - but I think we need to be proactive in this and not sit around until Apache migrates and then have everything break ;)

Opinions? Thoughts? And yes I am volunteering to help with the work, not just whining for a solution.

Thanks,
Elizabeth Marie Smith