What I was trying to say was that it would be a good idea to make
third party lib collections for the various VC versions and make them
available for building. It would give us a way to test both the build

Well, that would be useful, but I think that's a different subject. And I'm not sure we want to deal with "various CRTs" - we want to deal only with one additional, it'd be enough trouble I believe :) So, we want to have 3rd party libs built with recent VC, but we also want the whole PHP build with it.

I do think it's important to have a single official build. The thought
of having to explain 'C runtime' to every PHP newb just gives me the
willies...

I think it's very unfortunate that Microsoft was unable to make the transition smooth, but we can't keep with vc6 forever, and I don't see what happens in the future that would make the transition better than it is now.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]