I think what is highly likely to happen over the next two years that
will change the situation is that XP usage will drop dramatically.

Like, people would move to Vista en masse? Don't see it happening in next two years. Why do it?

This year, though, you can still buy brand new machines with XP
installed, and that's without ticking any 'special option'. Companies

And that would continue for a couple of years at least, because Vista support among hardware makers... how to say it mildly... leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway, conditioning having fast PHP binary on Vista sales doesn't look the best idea to me.

php.net shipping MS C runtime libraries to make good our (implied)
promise. It's one thing to offer support for a platform, but entirely
another to tie our software to a third-party library that effectively

Microsoft is not third-party. Microsoft is OS provider.

upgrades that platform. It also ties us - and all PHP/Windows users -
irrevocably to the MS development schedule.

Didn't you just propose to tie PHP releases and all Windows users to whenever Vista becomes most of the market? I think we just need to find a way to build and release a set of good fast binaries.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]