On Dec 5, 2007, at 12:52 AM, Robert Lemke wrote:
Hi Derick,
I also agree with your arguments - beautifying class names is not reason enough for
introducing namespaces.
On 04.12.2007 at 23:16 Derick Rethans wrote:

4. What is wrong with simple prefixes in the first place? Both PEAR_*, Zend_*, ezc*, and ezp* are perfectly acceptable markers for different
  'namespaces'.  We could optionally create a registry on php.net for
  this to avoid conflicts.

While experimenting with namespaces to use with the next major version of
TYPO3, I realized that always using a full class name such as

   "T3_MyPackage_MySubPackage_Controller_DefaultController"

has many advantages. Autoloading becomes a lot easier and if the filename equals the class name (ie. the full name, not only "DefaultController.php")
you are never in doubt where a file belongs to or comes from.

Therefore we in the TYPO3 project currently tend to not using namespaces
even if PHP6 had support for them.

Wow, total Deja Vu.

http://www.phpbuilder.com/lists/php-documentation-list/2001071/0109.php

I, for one, would not enjoy typing out:
"T3_MyPackage_MySubPackage_Controller_DefaultController" any more often than I absolutely *had* to. And in a somewhat amusing sense, the "register_global" vs. "local variable" debates aren't that far off from "register_class_as_global" vs. "local class namespace" debates....

Maybe we could all just re-read the email archives from back then, and save ourselves a lot of arguing?

:)

-Bop