Derick Rethans wrote:
On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Andi Gutmans wrote:

To clarify I meant there's a tri-state (not compiled in, compiled in but collection turned off, compiled in but collection turned on). My recommendation was to always compile it in but to keep collection turned off by default.

That's totally fine with me. With David's patch you could turn it on with both an ini setting (PHP_INI_ALL) or with a function. Can the "improved" one do so as well?

The GC has two stages.

1) GC information collection (called very often during php script execution and doesn't take a lot of time)

2) unreferenced cycle collection (called seldom but may take long time)

The original patch wrapped (1) and (2) with checks for GC on/off.
The "improved" one only (2).

The checks for GC on/off in original patch took just a bit less time than the whole GC information collection in the "improved".

Thanks. Dmitry.

regards,
Derick