Sorry to intrude on this one!

It seems that some real hard work has gone into this, and a big thanks from the community for all your hard work.

Can the gc patch feasibly be improved any more? If so surely the time scales involved with improving further would mean it'd miss the boat for a 5.3.x release..?

Real-life use of PHP has to be the foremost concideration; in the production environment, especially on server farms and shared hosts, how many of them are going to be upgraded to 5.3 anyways, and when so, not for a long time (sadly)! 4 bytes vs the earlier 12 bytes is a significant improvement, and much as this may seem a terrible thing to say..

Roll it out in 5.3, turned on by default (with option to disable at compile time) - that's your test right there, if there are problems then have it disabled by default in the subsequent minor release.

My only (and major) concern as an end developer is the 5% slowdown and 3% memory overhead, exactly what benefit am I as an end developer going recieve for this?

Andi started this series with : "On one hand I think now the effort has been made it's a good thing to offer it as part of PHP"; and I for one agree, with the emphasis on *offer*.

Many Regards & Apologies for the intrusion.

Nathan

Andi Gutmans wrote:
Hi Ilia,

I suggest more people test the performance difference because as you can
see for us it was negligible. From my experience you see bigger
deviations just by moving kernels, compilers, and even small patches
which affect where in memory the code segments sit, etc...
Maybe some people here who have performance harnesses (I'm sure Yahoo!
has one) could test it too.

Andi