Hi,

We don't need moderation, we don't need read-only.  We need people to
follow a simple common-sense checklist.  Before sending a message to
php-internals, ask these questions of yourself:

1) am I angry? yes => do not send your message, do not pass go, do not
collect $200.  Wait until tomorrow.
2) do I need help developing C code for the core, understanding how to
track down a bug, reminding about a forgotten/ignored bug, or writing
tests? yes => send your message and be graceful, no => goto #3
3) do I know what I'm talking about?  no => do more research and write
later, yes => goto #4
4) why should my opinion matter to anyone else? not sure => investigate
other people's opinions on the matter, potentially off-list or on irc
for new perspectives first, sure => goto #5
5) for new features, do I have a patch? yes => send message, no => goto #6
6) do I have a specific suggestion for changing the conception of how a
feature is implemented? yes => goto #7, no => delete your message and do
more research
7) have I made it this far? yes => send your message :)

A monthly auto-mailing of this checklist to internals@ for newbies would
also be a good way to remind us old farts to be decent citizens.  PHP
could also use a clearly defined leader who can shut down acidic debate
or a flame war before it gets out of hand, the RM for the
soon-to-be-released version might be a good candidate since most
discussion should (in theory) be about that code.

Greg