type-hinting is asserting.
checking of types is needed only on interface-border points (where

With strict checking, that means instead of calling:
foo($bar);
you'd have now to do:
if(is_integer($bar)) {
// stupid foo() call would blow up if passed not integer, so I have to manually handle it // oh wait, actually I don't have any way to handle it - I need foo() to be called to proceed
   // so let's just
   die("can't call foo() because \$bar is not integer");
}
foo($bar);

Now how it's easier or makes application more stable? What happens if foo() is changed and now accepts both integers and strings? What happens if someone forgets to write a wrapper?
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]