I don't get it. We already have type hinting, just not for scalars. The

Type hinting for scalars is different because it disables one of the features of PHP language - conversion of scalar types into each other.

So, can we switch the mundane conversation from "should we have type hinting" to "why don't we have scalar type hinting if we have non-scalar type hinting?" That is the real conversation. Type hinting is here. It

These are different kinds of typing, with different consequences. You do not convert DateTime into PEAR_Soap_Client routinely, nor such conversion can make any sense at all, so distinguishing between them is not the same as making hard distinction between integer and float and string, and disabling conversion between them.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]