It is better to have input from people with a wide range of experience
levels, it results in a fairer vote that actually represents the
population, rather than putting PHP under the control of a select few.

No, it is not. This has nothing to do with "fairness", as we are not enacting laws, levying taxes or distributing subsidies here. To have input from many people is great, moreover - it is necessary. However, it is not the same as deciding by arithmetical majority of votes of whoever cares to vote on technical questions.

Is this one in particular really 'a technical question'? To me it looks more like a simple decision about whether or not to bring new syntax into the core, which would affect every user out there and which is really more to do with peoples' ideas about what constitues simplicity. Most of the time I'd agree that the discussions held on this list are rather more technical by nature and there's a real problem with people who really don't understand the ramifications chiming in, but this is a bit different.

- Steph (who has no interest whatever in seeing 500+ emails a week on internals@ or in adding sugar just "because it's there")

[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]