Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
> The best you can
> do is provide sensible default actions and make sure people realize that
> it isn't the entire solution.  But I don't think throwing our hands in
> the air and doing nothing to help the developers is the answer just
> because there are such contexts that can't be solved by filters.

I believe we're in agreement. But I don't know if there's any way to do
this while not fundamentally redesigning PHP and changing every PHP
tutorial on the Internet that says you should <?php echo $_GET['data']
?> (a lot, apparently: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22echo+%24_GET%22 ).

The users who use filter are the ones who actually know what the right
thing is to do, and would benefit the least from this (although, as you
mention, they would still benefit, as smart developers can still be
careless!) But there's nothing stopping a newbie developer from dropping
a few echo's except some sort of auditing strategy; discipline still
plays a large role in it. Of course, adopting a less-obvious syntax for
raw data will make it more evident when PHP's easy&insecure capabilities
are used...

--
 Edward Z. Yang                        GnuPG: 0x869C48DA
 HTML Purifier <http://htmlpurifier.org> Anti-XSS Filter