On 07.04.2008, at 19:59, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

Right if at all I would agree on having a type hint "scalar", but not a separate one per type.

IMO (as already was discussed like 10 times?) "scalar" makes no sense. It doesn't save you any checks, and doesn't provide any useful information and can't perform any useful conversions, etc. for you. BTW, the statement to usefulness of "scalar" is that no C API function ever needed "scalar" as parameter type - and while we had a lot of formats for zend_parse_parameters, including objects, arrays, resources, numbers, strings of various kinds, callbacks, etc., we don't have "scalar" one. I consider it a strong indication that this idea is not as good as it might seem.

Maybe we should be thinking more in terms of "scalar" sometimes, then we might not have gotten that BC break in array_merge().

regards,
Lukas