Hi Rasmus,

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 1:35 AM, Rasmus Lerdorf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Lars Strojny wrote:
>>
>> [ forgot to sent that to the list ]
>>
>> Hi Philip,
>>
>> Am Dienstag, den 20.05.2008, 12:55 -0700 schrieb Philip Olson:
>> [...]
>>>
>>> PHP 5.3 is approaching fast, so let's conclude our dealings with  magical
>>> quotes... this should be the last time. Please have a look at  the following
>>> RFC and discuss it within this thread.
>>>
>>>   Magic Quotes in PHP 5.3 and beyond
>>>   - http://wiki.php.net/rfc/magicquotes
>>>
>>> It recommends changes to both 5_3 and 6_0 branches, namely, removing
>>>  E_DEPRECATED from the get_ magical quote functions. Silence means  you're
>>> okay with the RFC being implemented.
>>
>> Why should we leave get_magic_quotes_gpc()? If someone wants to be
>> backwards compatible, just use
>> if (function_exists('get_magic_quotes_gpc') and @get_magic_quotes_gpc())
>> Let's just add this to the manual, and everything is fine.
>>
>> I don't see a problem with this at all and it has the advantage of
>> allowing use to remove all the traces of magic quotes in 6. Magic quotes
>> are considered a bad practice for a long time.
>
> We have covered this a bunch of times already.  magic_quotes_gpc are gone,
> but we leave in the function that tells userspace code that they are off.
>  get_magic_quotes_gpc() will always return false which means that thousands
> of applications out there will run unchanged and will simply take the
> magic_quotes off code path.

Exactly, what I said in my very first reply to this thread. With all
respects to Philip, this RFC and discussion are pointless, the
solution has been approved and the problem is about to be solved (when
I get two and half mins to apply my patch, probably early next week).

Cheers,
--
Pierre
http://blog.thepimp.net | http://www.libgd.org