+1 from me - unicode is very very needed indeed.
Normaly on every project I have to deal with 3 languages - english, russian
and latvian - and there is no fun in making advanced html/bbcode parser (not
based on str_replace or preg_replace - it is far more complex than that)
using mb_string functions.