Steph Fox wrote:
What we're hearing here about European keyboard layouts is useful info because it gives some idea of how popular/unpopular the backslash would be as a solution and why, but it shouldn't carry as much weight as the accessibility argument against the triple colon. One is liveable, if not optimal, whereas the other is plainly not liveable for some. We've already heard two workarounds for the backslash issues, but there are none at all for ::: + imperfect eyesight.

I should probably apologise for bringing up the keyboard question, but I did so purely because a number of people had mentioned the problem. I was just trying to refer to the general problem that while many of the symbols used are on US keyboards, they may well be used for local characters on other layouts, and can be difficult to access for some developers. I was just trying to flag a general problem that is often ignored rather than the specific /::: one.

Clarity and simplicity are the two chief requisites. We're all fully aware of that, from Engine developer to n00b, so there's really no point in discussing it to death on-list at this stage.

Have we reached a consensus? Or is this still a little open ended?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL