This was argued for months, there was tons of emails to read and backslash
is best for most people. PHP is dynamic language - that makes some major
restrictions, so you just can't apply something that is already in use
easily. That's why :: was rejected in first place. That's why . was
rejected, other separators had other issues. Backslash is easy to see, easy
to type (most layouts have it without Shift or something else) and clearly
says - I'm a namespace!
So anyway - in any language you will find something that you would't like.
You just live with that or chouse another language. That's all.