On 27.10.2008, at 22:27, Sean Coates wrote:

You want to force users to use the full name at all times. IOW, you
want to sacrifice convenience for performance.

(chiming in because it seems that we're overlooking something obvious here)

If it comes down to this, I'd prefer to see an E_NOTICE for the "bad performance" use, though I don't think it's necessary to shield users from this. There's plenty of poorly performing PHP code out there that an extra disk access isn't going to hurt.

this seems like a very good idea to me. this way things default to "just work" (which imho is the PHP spirit), while its brain dead easy to detect misuse.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]