Hannes Magnusson wrote:
Behavioural change is desperately needed, and I think developers
should lead by example.
read-only to the world, and writeable by people with appropriate
karma.

That list would be dedicated for _development_ discussion (including
implementation, patches, "edge-case voting" and such things) and would
include posts like are going on between greg, stas and dmitry, and
posts which are going on between release managers and individual
developers. This way we keep _everything_ in the open and maintain a
"high quality" on-topic discussions.

"external" patches and "general" discussions would still be on the
internals@ list, as it would be the main discussion list. However,
those who simply do not have the time to read over the entire thing
have a specific low-traffic list which they can easily follow.

This is the same as just making internals@ read-only. Once we have an internals-core, many core people will just unsubscribe from the internals list. I know I probably would. And once the core developers no longer read it, it becomes php-general2 and it ends up excluding people from the development process.

-Rasmus