Hi!

ok, they have the same non fully qualified named.

That's why we should have unambiguous resolution mechanism. You propose to add one ambiguity on top of another.

want to get generic \Exception instead of \My\Very\Specific\Exception - it would probably break all your error handling.

this is about overloading and flexibility.

We never had class name overloading and I don't see why we should start it. It's runkit domain, as I said. If you call certain class, you should be able to know which class is that. I don't understand why when seeing problem so big that it requires change of whole syntax in something like foo::bar() - you fail to understand ambiguity potential in your proposal.

the point was that this gives the end user the choice of when, if at all, to fallback to the global namespace. in this way the default could indeed be 1) ns 2) autoload 3) fail. just that autoload can now handle more cases in a manner the end users might deem sensible.

It's not autoload's task to change class names that it is loading. By the time you use autoloader the class name should already be known - otherwise you can't even decide if to use autoloader or not! And it definitely will screw up everything if you use multiple autoloaders with different ideas about how to rewrite class names. Please let's keep autoloaders simple and not insert there hacks that do not belong there, we have enough complexity there already.

i guess the other alternative (though actually i am not sure if its possible), that people will likely try out is to extend the base class inside the namespace on the fly. which i would consider much worse.

What are you trying to achieve here?
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]