Marshall Greenblatt wrote:
> Hi Stas, and All,
>
> I understand that there is a strong desire for this thread to be dead.
> However, after reading this and all related threads and wiki, I find that
> one item is still unclear, at least to me.
>
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 6:27 PM, Stanislav Malyshev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> And how exactly it serves the needs of people by secretly making their
>> applications orders of magnitude slower, and then saying "oh, that's because
>> you failed to read paragraph 16.4.5.1 in the manual, you should really
>> read that paragraph before pretending to be PHP programmer!". Good
>> environment or does what you want it to do, or fails, explaining to you why
>> it doesn't work - it doesn't do it half way half broken and then blames you
>> for not reading some obscure note in the manual. That's not how I see
>> helping.
>

> What, if any, performance penalty should we expect with the proposed
> namespace changes when executing existing code that does not use
> namespaces?  Do we need to change existing namespace-free code in order to
> avoid any potential performance penalties?  Has anyone benchmarked the
> changes yet to see if the performance penalty, if any, is actually
> significant for some set of common usage cases?
>
> If it's too soon to answer that last question then perhaps the whole
> performance debate is a bit premature.

Existing code should see no change in performance from the previous PHP
5.3 alpha, and a significant improvement from PHP 5.2.  In fact, code
that uses a lot of static method calls or class constants might see a
slight (imperceptible) performance increase, as a few hash lookups would
be removed.

I have not benchmarked this.

Greg