Moriyoshi Koizumi wrote:
Please don't even think of backporting. This will definitely break a
lot of things, and this kind of thing must not be done in a minor
release.

--snip--

I guess the patch relies on the 5.3's DVAL_TO_LVAL behavior that was
changed by the fix for bug #42868, right?
If so, this patch shouldn't be MFH'ed as the #42868 patch was not
merged although I didn't remember any discussion on this.

See also: http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=120799720922202&w=2

Hey all

I'm sorry - I should have replied to this before since I was responsible for raising #42868. I didn't do a good job at explaining what the issue was in that bug, mainly because I didn't know what it was when I started. The central problem is that PHP's behaviour on casting double to int defaults to whatever the underlying C environment does. On Windows and Linux (all of the versions that I looked at) this turns out to be a simple truncation of the last 32 bits. Unfortunately the C behaviour is 'undefined' (Kernigan and Ritchie, page 197, A6.3). The issue that I found in #42868 was that on the Mac the casting behaviour is completely different so many of the PHP tests failed. I believe that PHP should behave in a platform independent way - that is what the fix to #42868 achieves. It is also fair to say that any applications that depend on the overflow behaviour in PHP 5.2 cannot be guaranteed to run on any platform.

Zoe
Regards,
Moriyoshi

Ilia Alshanetsky