It was not my intention to initiate a massive debate regarding the use
of short_open_tag.

I posted for two reasons:

1. To ask if short_open_tag has been deprecated in PHP 6.
2. To suggest asp_tags as the recommended option for templating in PHP
(to keep both crowds* happy).

* The crowd *for* the use of short_open_tag (I don't believe that they
are in favour of this tag because of the particular characters used, but
rather because of its shortness), and the crowd *against* its use
(believing that, since PHP's primary use is for embedding code within
HTML documents, it should respect the use of other processing instructions).

Glen.