On May 30, 2009, at 12:49 PM, Roman I wrote:

Philip Olson wrote:

On May 18, 2009, at 5:33 PM, Roman I wrote:

From what I know, in the future versions of PHP short tags are going
to be
disabled by default.
<snip>

Common misunderstanding but the short_open_tag directive will never be
disabled by default. There are distributed php.ini-* files that
disable them, but those don't contain default values.

This neither answers nor invalidates the original question, though.

Unfortunately I do not remember everything about this but do know that:

- Decoupling <?= from short_open_tag was discussed, and did not happen - Allowing it to be enabled at runtime was discussed, and did not happen
  - The issues with <?= and <? are similar... an invalid PI

I've not read every thread or discussion on this (there are many) but CVS speaks for itself. Here's one thought comparing the two viewpoints:

  - http://marc.info/?l=php-internals&m=120614525214419&w=2

The following RFC mentions this decoupling, yet was declined:

  - http://wiki.php.net/rfc/shortags

And lastly, the general topic of short tags came up recently while several people discussed PHP 6:

  - http://wiki.php.net/summits/pdmnotesmay09

In summary: It's a topic people don't want to talk about. :)

Regards,
Philip