hi Lukas,

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 8:49 PM, Lukas Kahwe Smith<m...@pooteeweet.org> wrote:

> On 16.06.2009, at 19:39, Greg Beaver wrote:
>
>> Daniel Convissor wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks:

>>> The function is going away.  A deprecated warning is necessary to alert
>>> people of this fact, no matter how the function is used.
>>
>> I'm sorry, but there is a bug here.
>>
>> On my system, magic_quotes_gpc is enabled by default, and no
>> E_DEPRECATED warning is thrown.
>>
>> Check it out.  Compile a vanilla PHP 5.3, and run php -n -i |grep magic
>>
>> It's probably an oversight, but if it is intentional, we can't punish
>> people for disabling something that is enabled by default.
>

> 1) its not about "punishing", its about alerting people that they are
> relying on stuff that will go away
> 2) E_DEPRECATE is for development only and only as a check you enable now
> and then
> 3) its off in both of the php.ini's we will ship with 5.3

What Greg meant is:
C:\Users\pierre\Documents\test\php530rc3tsvc9x86>php -n -i |find "magic"
magic_quotes_gpc => On => On
magic_quotes_runtime => Off => Off
magic_quotes_sybase => Off => Off

magic_quotes_gpc should be off by default (default value).

I can commit the change now (as asked on IRC). But Lukas raises the
question about changing default values in minor releases. As they are
off in both php.ini, there is no reason to keep it On by default. Any
opposition before I fix it?

Cheers,
--
Pierre