On 23.06.2009, at 08:15, jvlad wrote:

1. you're wrong, PHP does not depend on system-wide installed pear, it
will simply use it if present
2. nothing is missing.  see http://pear.php.net/PHP_Archive

If installed, phar.phar will function (partially) without the phar
extension being present.

In other words, not a problem, not a bug.

Greg,

Can the messages be enhanced e.g. explaining what will happen in these
cases?  For example "pear: not found.  Using XXX instead" would help
users for #1.

As far as I understand "pear: not found" is a shell message thrown into
output (stderr?) when make tried to run non-existing system's pear.

if someone has a safe looking patch to improve this, we can consider including it in 5.3.0

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org