On 09.07.2009, at 13:10, Patrick ALLAERT wrote:

2009/7/9 Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com>:
Two other issues that we need to revisit:
1. Agree on when it will be implemented - I think it's pretty clear it
should not go to 5.3.

What would be the impact including this feature (once it is
*technically* fine for everybody) in 5.3 code with #ifdef's so that
this feature is enabled only at ./configure time and disabled by
default.

We could then imagine to switch this configure parameter as enabled by
default in a future (major) release.

This way, every vanilla PHP installation wouldn't suffer of BC
problems while still providing the feature to a restricted set of
users.

thats a no go, since this would lead to incompatible PHP code. we have had various php.ini settings that have caused this and we do not want to pile onto this.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org