On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 05:12:47PM GMT, Pierre Joye [pierre....@gmail.com] said
the following:

> Let me use another example to make you understand the situation.
>
> I bought a car, which is great, I can repair it myself, can drive

  Car analogies are seldomly an accurate portrayal to the situation.
This case is no different.

> Please note that I knew for years that I won't find gaz anymore at some point.
>
> Shorter version: Topics have been discussed to death, move on, nothing to see.

  Whenever I bring up an issue like this with the PHP devs, I feel like
you guys never experience having to support PHP. Among other things, I
am the main sysadmin for my web hosting company and have been supporting
PHP since version 3 there. When 4.0 came out, I had to help people
change their code accordingly to fix any changes and so on with
subsequent versions. But I know that a lot of the people who write code
in PHP aren't on this mailing list and don't even look at the PHP
manual. A lot of causual developers simply copy code from other places.
You might say that its their fault for not keeping up with what they are
using and properly learning how to use it. I'd probably agree with you.

  But at the same time, PHP's ease of use has caused this.  Its easy for
anyone to sit down with no programming experience and figure out how to
process a form, often times by downloading someone else's code and
modifying it a bit. Then they learn more off of that and before you know
it they are writing stock market simulations.  I know a few people like
this. I'm guilty of this a bit too (although I've read through most of
the PHP documentation and a few books too).  I wonder how many of the
major apps that people use regularly use ereg and their developer don't
know about this change.

 So for the project developers to just say screw you, we're dropping
ereg in 6 and you can't do anything about it without giving a chance for
that information to make its way downstream is pretty cold and will lead
to a lot of angry people that maybe you don't have to deal with, but the
rest of us that run servers and maintain code have to deal with.

 Its easy for you guys on the list to say that you've known about this
or that, because you spend most of your time on PHP and are somewhat in
your own world. I spend a fair amount of time on PHP and I still didn't
know about this change until recently.

--
Mark S. Krenz
IT Director