On 12.10.2009, at 19:47, Mark Krenz wrote:

If ereg isn't ready yet then 6.0 should be delayed until it is ready.

It probably never will be...

 That's bullshit. Its not like Duke Nukem or something.  I've never
seen a major version of PHP take more than a couple years to release and
PHP 6 seems to be well on its way.  I expected it would be released
sometime in 2010.

Uhm, please keep your language under control.

Anyways PHP6 has been delayed quite a few times, which is why PHP 5.3 was released to get a lot of the PHP6 non unicode features into the hands of users earlier. Anyways if at all .. PHP6 will come out late 2010, but I think the first stable release will not come before 2011, meaning that there will be around 2 years between it being marked deprecated in a stable release and it disappearing in the latest stable release. Chances are high that the PHP5 tree will still be actively maintained for a few years there after and that the big libraries will not drop PHP5 support until a few years as well, so for most users they will have about 3-5 years to adapt. The rest are people who want to be on the bleeding edge and those users usually write their own code to be bleeding edge too.

So relax and again if you feel that your paying customers will suffer too much, pay someone to write the code. Furthermore, if you care about PHP, you might want to register for a wiki account and write up that summary about this discussion, so that we can spare us starting this discussion at zero again in the future.

Thanks and have a nice day.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org