IIRC, Sara created this as a proof of concept to a reoccurring question of why filesystem functions don't have an include include_path argument. Many members argued (and for good merit), that any fs operations should not include the include_path. It was put into trunk and forgotten about, but ironically documented.

Commentary:

http://devzone.zend.com/node/view/id/1514#Heading7

-ralph

Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

Isn't this what stream_resolve_include_path does?

I wasn't even aware it was there (it being undocumented doesn't help a lot). And it is listed as PHP 6 only. I guess if we fix it to work correctly and backport to 5.3 (or even 5.2?) it may just work for frameworks.