2010-03-12 18:36, Tomas Kuliavas skrev:
Keryx Web rašė:
2. If so, what will happen to array access in strings that are de
facto Unicode? Will the more clunky mb_substr() be the only option?

What will happen to array access in unicode strings, if code wants to
access them in bytes? Will some backwards incompatible binary be the
only option?

You want unicode strings. I want backwards compatibility which goes
further than php 5.2.1. I want to write bytes in hexadecimal notation. I
need both unicode aware and byte based functions.

Yours is a power user request, mine is a concern for the newbies.

PHP has gotten to where it is because it has been easy to pick up and new users will feel productive from day one.

I can say with 100 % certainty that new users will be SEVERELY confused if they use array access and get individual bytes from a multibyte encoded string.

Easy defaults for the newcomers and power tools for power users is a much better approach than the other way around.

To all:

I note that my question is still unanswered.

--
Keryx Web (Lars Gunther)
http://keryx.se/