On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Nate Gordon <nlgor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 3:31 AM, Ferenc Kovacs <tyr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com>
> > wrote:

> > us
> I've
> releases.
> major
> > "That
> when
> > release
> > developmental

> > well
> management
> > this

> > > If I could step in for a moment, while there's certainly advantages to
> > shorter
> > > release cycles that others have mentioned there's another factor that
> has
> > > be considered: Backward compatibility would have to be much more
> tightly
> > > monitored.
> > >
> > > Out in the shared hosting world, we're at the mercy of web hosts and
> > Linux
> > > distributions.  They don't like to upgrade stuff if they don't have to,
> > and
> > > often times not even then.  It wasn't that long ago that we needed an
> > > industry-wide boycott, essentially, to force PHP 5 at all.  Most hosts
> > aren't
> > > on 5.3 yet.  That means any mass-market PHP projects (Wordpress,
> Drupal,
> > > Joomla, CakePHP, Symfony, CodeIgnighter, etc.) are still working with
> 5.2
> > at
> > > best, and it may be some time before the "I don't have root on my
> server
> > and
> > > don't know how to compile stuff myself" crowd (read: the vast majority
> of
> > the
> > > market) is able to leverage 5.3.
> > >
> > > When significant releases are 2-3 years apart, web hosts can expect to
> > have to
> > > put in actual work every couple of years and mass-market developers can
> > expect
> > > to have to beat their hosts over the head with a stick every few years.
> >  If
> > > significant releases are going to be every year, then it has to still
> be
> > easy
> > > and safe for hosts to upgrade.  Preferably it has to also make servers
> > faster
> > > because then they have an incentive to upgrade themselves.  If hosts
> > don't
> > > upgrade, it doesn't matter what amazing new features PHP has.  Most
> > people
> > > can't use 'em.
> > >
> > > I'm not against a more planned, frequent release cycle but I want to
> make
> > sure
> [...]

I guess I'm missing the point on this. We all know hosting companies are
slow to adopt our changes. But does it really have anything to do with the
time interval between our releases. I would think the more pressing issue
would be BC which is not a function of the time interval but rather a
function of actual changes implemented in a release. I don't remember any
one in this thread insinuating that we'll be making diversions from the long
lasting goal of maintain BC whenever it's even remotely possible.

Best case scenario when only considering the time interval. We see a little
better adoption if short release cycles mean a new release gets push prior
to a hosting company's evaluation period for rollout changes.

Worst case scenario, a perception is generated by the fact we appear to be
moving ahead faster and they appear to be falling behind even faster. But I
think the reality will be that we are still doing roughly the same amount of
changes either way. We'll just be pushing it out in smaller chunks.

Eric Lee Stewart