Hi!

I don't like this. The behavior should not depend on other methods
being defined. What if you refactored the class and moved the ctor out
to the parent - and the you get a nasty surprise of filter() suddenly
becoming new ctor?

Consider this idea a band-aid. It would basically allow for us to move
forward in the 5.x branch with backwards compatibility until 6.x drops
and PHP4 style constructors can go away forever.

No, that's a pretty bad band-aid. I'd not be comfortable with such kludge being there, esp. when we are just establishing a new style for namespaced code.

In general, it seems like method names of the same as the class name
should *NOT* be marked as the class constructor if they are static.

Maybe, but that's seems to be too subtle distinction to have, and in the light of the previous issue (not having it be ctor ever) it doesn't matter anyway :)
s...@zend.com   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: s...@zend.com