On 28.05.2010, at 10:57, Arvids Godjuks wrote:

> I'd say that I agree on this, I would like to see the conversion rules
> cleaned up and made more clear. The idea of emitting e_warning or
> e_strict on conversions with data loss throughout the language is very
> appealing. Maybe we really need to do that so conversion rules and
> type hinting rules to work the same?

Which conversion rules? the one in PHP today or the one in the weak type
hinting RFC?

In the weak type hinting RFC the conversion rules are pretty clear to me,
anything that converts without data loss goes through, anything else does not
convert silently (or even fails if we want to be so strict, depending on which
approach we prefer). I personally prefer the cleaned up conversion rules from
the RFC (and would love if we could figure out some way to do something similar
for the entire type juggeling in PHP). However I can also accept if we simply
stick with the same rules as PHP has atm (albeit still with the addition that a
cast that causes data loss would not happen silently

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
m...@pooteeweet.org