>> Where previously the function would accept the by-value argument, a
>> fatal error is now emitted.

> Not sure about this one. Do you have an example please?

Erm, you do realized that I copied that from the handbook page? Example:

<?php
function a(&$x) {}
a(NULL);
?>
PHP Fatal error:  Only variables can be passed by reference in
/var/www/u/sites/all/modules/awesomerelationships/x.php on line 4

Also.

Extensions. APC to this day does not have a stable release for PHP
5.3. Neither has XCache. I am not even sure how do you imagine
*anyone* much less everyone upgrading to 5.3 with a production site
without a stable code cache...?

Also note xdebug has a PHP 5.3 compatible release for less than a month.

Regards

NK