Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
2010/8/10 Johannes Schlüter <johan...@schlueters.de>

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 16:20 +0200, Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
Is LTS really something we need to provide? Seems to me like this is
something the linux vendors take care of for the most part. Of course
this leaves windows, OSX (and maybe some others).
Well, I don't see it as loooooooooooooooooooooooooong term support, but
rather as way to enable quick feature cycles, so that feature releases
can move faster than anybody can upgrade to them (ok, that's a bit too
fast the, but hope you get the point), while new features can get in
production sooner, where wanted.

We could also use the names "feature preview release" and "stable
release"(=lts) ... which would bring us close to MySQL's model and their
confusing version numbering (MySQL 5.1 is the stable there, then MySQL
5.4 was announced as preview, now MySQL 5.5 is the current preview
release, neither 5.4 nor 5.5 are "stable", "GA", though)

johanne

they started to use milestone release-s.
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-release-model.html

<http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-release-model.html>
Tyrael

Which are even more confusing. But someone had to spend hours paid time to think this out.

Andrey