On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@sugarcrm.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>

>  A number of extensions were dropped because of the rules applied to
>> building
>> them. In my case php_interbase is missing, and since Firebird is the only
>> database I use it's something of a problem. So we simply build it and
>> supply it
>> from the Firebird site. But other extensions are also still lagging behind
>> in
>> conversion to being PHP5.3 compatible.
>>

> Wait, you mean PHP binary builds miss ext/interbase?

And some more.
Pierre mentioned that the firebird extension will be bundled with 5.3.3 but
AFAIK it didn't happened.
There are some info about the missing extensions here:
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=46971

> But you can always build it yourself (or have somebody do it for you ;),
> it's not incompatibility in PHP 5.3. Or you mean something is missing in the
> code?

Yeah, but building php or the extensions is not the easiest thing to do, on
linux you just type apt-get install php5-extension or pecl install
extension, but for windows:
- pecl install doesn't work on windows (obviously)
- http://pecl4win.php.net/ -> The pecl4win build box is temporarily out of
service. // Temporary my ass. :/
- setting up a (free) build environment for php on windows is PITA. at least
that was it, when I did last time.
there are multiple how-to, but almost all of them is outdated.
thanks again to Pierre ( http://www.php.net/~pierre/ ) for manually building
some extensions for windows

and AFAIK there is some problem with building the extension for the VC6 or
VC9 builds:

"About GMP, it won't make it with VC6, move to VC9 if you need it."

"snmp support has been restored in 5.3.3RC1 (VC9 only)"

and sybase_ct is VC6 only, so if you need both sybase_ct AND (enchant OR gmp
OR snmp) then you are screwed.

>  For an off the shelf windows PHP5 build, 5.2.14 is the only one that
>> includes
>> these libraries off the shelf and until 5.3 does I can't point my own
>> customers
>> there.
>>

> You mean you can't point them to download binary builds from
> windows.php.net? That doesn't make 5.3 unstable though...

see above.

Tyrael