Hi!

I would have no trouble accepting a rejection of annotations on the actual
merits, but the interminable sequence of comparisons to phpdoc make it
clear to me that people just don't realize the potential of annotations.

People do realize the potential, what you and many "+1" voters seem to not realize is the cost. You propose to add new syntax into PHP which is completely different from all other syntax constructs in PHP - different instantiation syntax, different method parameters syntax. It's a full micro-language inside PHP. We discussed it already, but somehow it failed to register.

Yes, it is new syntax and by itself that is undesirable. However, I see

The problem is not new syntax per se. The problem is new syntax for things that already have old syntax.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/