Hi!

If we think of properties as this new entity for the language (rather
than somehow massaging existing entities to fit a new usage scenario),
then

I think the idea of new entity of the language looking exactly like old entity of the language but having different rules is kind of non-starter.

One idea I had was to keep just the get/set property methods and add
to them an additional parameter ...

So we have one set of properties where get and isset use different methods and another set of properties where get and isset use same method but with parameter. I think it's not the best way to go. It's better to ignore isset altogether than this.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/