Hi:

From my point of view the right thing to do with regard to properties is
defined in the test cases below.

The rational behind providing this semantics is based on the fact that PHP
allows to define properties dynamically anyway, so there is no way around
properties.
However, there should be a way that a developer can notice that the code might
not behave as expected in the composed class.

It is true that behavior needs state to operate on, however, accessors are a
common pattern and fully supported by traits. Furthermore, traits are not
supposed to replace classes, and when a trait does more than just providing
code that is to be easily reused, then the designed should ask the question
whether that is not actually a class, which then provides the necessary
guarantees to enforce the invariances the code expects.

Thus, I would like to keep traits as a lightweight concept for code reuse.

Best regards
Stefan

--TEST--
Conflicting properties should result in a notice.
Property use is discorage for traits that are supposed to enable maintainable
code reuse. Accessor methods are the language supported idiom for this.
--FILE--
<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

trait THello1 {
  public $foo;
}

trait THello2 {
  private $foo;
}

class TraitsTest {
        use THello1;
        use THello2;
}

var_dump(property_exists('TraitsTest', 'foo'));
?>
--EXPECTF--
Notice: Trait THello1 and THello2 define the same property in the composition
of TraitsTest. This might be incompatible, to improve maintainability consider
using accessor methods instead. Class was composed in %s on line %d.

bool(true)

--TEST--
Non-conflicting properties should work just fine.
--FILE--
<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

trait THello1 {
  public $hello = "hello";
}

trait THello2 {
  private $world = "World!";
}

class TraitsTest {
        use THello1;
        use THello2;
        function test() {
            echo $this->hello . ' ' . $this->world;
        }
}

var_dump(property_exists('TraitsTest', 'hello'));
var_dump(property_exists('TraitsTest', 'world'));

$t = new TraitsTest;
$t->test();
?>
--EXPECTF--
bool(true)
bool(true)

hello World!

--TEST--
Conflicting properties with different visibility modifiers should be merged
to the most restrictive modifier.
--FILE--
<?php
error_reporting(E_ALL);

trait THello1 {
  public $hello;
}

trait THello2 {
  private $hello;
}

class TraitsTest {
        use THello1;
        use THello2;
}

$t = new TraitsTest;
$t->hello = "foo";
?>
--EXPECTF--
Fatal error: Cannot access private property TraitsTest::$foo in %s on line %d