Hello.
I have only one question - is really that many old applications able
to run on 5.3 who require magic_quotes, safe mode, register globals
and other legacy stuff?
How long are you planing on keeping the BC? 10 years, 15 years? Maybe 20?
Reality is - break it in 5.4 or in 6.0 in two-three years - the whine
will be the same. Even if you do it in 7.0 - people will whine a lot.
Some really stupid assholes still are writing new applications who
relly on magic_quotes and safe mode - does that mean now we have to
keep the BC for other 10 years?
Stuff is depricated, it emits a ton of warnings. If people do
development with turned off deprication warnings - it's their own
problem, not the developers. You have warned them in the best way you
can - if they choose to ignore that warning - it's not your problem.
The language should move on. PHP now is at a point when it is ready to
get rid of that old crap stuff and be more shiny and far better than a
few years ago. At least russian speaking community is very aware of
the deprecation and waits anxiously when they are removed physically.

Personally I do not even remember when I last worked on a project
using any of the deprecated stuff. Even some old projects do not rely
on any of these. I and all my fellow developers I know just decline
the clients who have old legacy projects and don't invest in upgrading
their apps, because no one wants to have anything to do with that (or
we just tell the client that we will bill them 5x - no one agreed yet
;) )

I think the development should move on and deprecated stuff just has
to be removed period. We, user-land developers, will deal with the
rest of the problem - it's our job ;)