I know the political discussions like "not needed" etc.
But imho it might also be useful in corner-cases when you'd need an
on-disk-cache etc.

So if we have a volunteer to add it and it could maybe be done "cleanly"
(plugin-API, ...) I'd appreciate if you'd allow him to try to come up
with a solution :-)

Regards,
 Stefan