Paul Dragoonis wrote:
After a brief discussion with Pierre I'm taking this discussion to here.
We have the igbinary pecl extension available [1], however not many of our
userbase are familiar that it even exists.
Here [2] is the performance boost we get from using igbinary with
serialize() and unserialize().

Here we get a great perf boost, and what's more excellent as we don't have
to break BC to get there!

This seems like a no-brainer and a good investment in the speed increase of
PHP by default for the future users of the platform.

[1]http://pecl.php.net/package/igbinary
[2]http://www.php.net/~pierre/vcqa/apcigninary_perf.png

Comments please.

I find that the ability to quickly scan the session files when a client is having problems and identify their session is something that I use at least a couple of times a month on various remote sites. If the session data is not readable text then I can't do that. So anything that is done definitely needs to have an off switch as far as I am concerned. I only store a small amount of key data in the session - the rest is serialised into the clients database record, and I would prefer to use text blobs for that rather than having to manage binary data ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL