On 1/18/2012 6:13 AM, Lester Caine wrote:

> A much better reason for not supporting the build is probably that the 64bit
> compiler is
> not available in the free development stack? We have to buy a development
> stack to get the
> 64bit compiler which blocks rather than working with the publicly available
> process :(
> But actually that is a better reason for supplying a 64 bit build, and why
> others are
> providing that service.

Actually, no.  There are any number of free mechanisms to build 64 bit code.

The root problem is that Windows "WIN64" is a 64P architecture.  Linux and
*nix variants, on the other hand, are 64ILP or 64LP.  Meaning Windows has
longs/ints which are undersized compared to the *nix brethren.  The old and
stale abuse such as unsigned long X = (unsigned long)pY; will not do what
the author intended.

This means all packages ported to *nix 64 bits may have very serious flaws
which have not been fixed for *Windows 64 bit* architecture.  I'd anticipate
CoApp identifying and resolving most of these applicable to PHP over the
coming months, but it is a non-trivial problem requiring a number of pairs
of eyeballs to get right.