I see no reason why it would be not desirable to have PHP raise the
exception rather than putting more or less repeating code snippets all
around the place. That is why I am asking.

This topic have been raised many many times (Turning errors into
Exceptions).

What's the result? Should we do it or not?

as PHP does not do any magical
overloading without explicitly declared, witch I think is a good
decision.

No magic wanted here. Just a yes, want / no, don't want.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer

B1 Systems GmbH