And with the latter, you've reduced the amount of checks you have to
do, by putting them in the proper places (if baby and mother objects
inherit from the same class you've essentially got one check on null
inside getMother(), not many spread out in client code). Also, the
client code now only knows about the immediate surroundings - and
should obviously know if getGrandmother() or getGrandmotherName() can
throw exceptions.

So as far as I'm concerned, the feature proposed just makes it a
easier to couple your code more tightly. I'd rather the language
discouranged that - or at least not encourage it.

Regards
Peter

The example is a simplified illustration of the case, it's not literally the reason I want to have an exception here.

I will take my time to make this very clear in the RFC.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer

B1 Systems GmbH