I think that's a bit of a stretch, to say the least.  The same argument
could be made that PHP 5's introduction of stronger OO implementation would
have scared this person away.  The fact is, we don't know that either of
them would have.  For one thing, I doubt he monitored the PHP Internals
list; if he had, that in and of itself would have been enough to scare him
away lol.  If strict typing was the norm, then yeah it probably would have
scared him off.  But adding optional typing, which is what we've been
discussing here?  I seriously doubt it.

--Kris