Kris Craig wrote:
With booleans, I think you have a good point.  If 1 or 0 is passed to a
bool, I'd say that should be fine without an error.  If you were to pass a
2, though (you insolent bastard!), then it would throw the error.

I have to complain about that. There is nothing wrong in my book with assuming that a returned value is true while an empty return is false. Having to check for a number greater than zero rather than just 'true' is complicating things again. If it returned some values from the DB query it's 'not false' and we can go on.

But my main concern/complaint here is that I am more than happy with my IDE doing all of the type hinting that I need, so there is no need to load down the runtime engine with this. Perhaps now is the time to make a formal request that a lot of this 'compiler' like construction show have an overall 'off' switch so we can run scripts faster? PHPEclipse picks up the phpdoc comment blocks and gives a hint popup that has served me well for years.

I know that there are always those say 'you do not have to use it', but with these extensions starting to be applied to the very libraries we rely on, then we are forced to learn about things that we do not actually need in production, and once again we are wasting time on 'keeping up' when all we want is a reliable stable base we can rely on.

I'm being forced to accept Smarty3 because 'that is the supported version' when converting several years worth of Smarty2 templates is totally impractical. And libraries like Smarty3 tend to include the very constructs you are discussing 'because they are the modern way'. Perhaps it is about time us old fuddy duddys started to support a frozen stable version of PHP and it's libraries that just get essential security updates and let you 'modern guys' get on with your own branch .....

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL